Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Monday's Magic Performance

Last monday, I did my brief act for the Open Stage. I wanted to try a different presentational approach to my magic, so I wore a black, leather mask, and I've continued my experiment of not speaking. I haven't seen the video yet – there are teams of photographers and video people working even as we speak– but I think I was successful in communicating by movement and not by using facial expressions.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not interested in the culture of magic hobbyists. I think it's a good thing to go to seminars and dealer shows, but that has nothing to do with performing. I keep running into magicians who have rooms of crap they bought at some magic dealer trade show, gimmicked decks, color changing silks, kitschy-looking crap, but these items are never performed. I suppose that is ok, especially those who enjoy collecting things, but it is akin to practicing guitar or piano, and never playing for anyone.

I've been an active participant of my magic club and that has helped me to have the balls to get on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment